Frequently Asked Questions
1. When is an employee eligible for benefits?
For all regular employees working a minimum of 20 hours a week:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance: date of hire (employees have 30 days to enroll)
- Life insurance: date of hire
- Retirement plan - employee contribution: date of hire
- Retirement plan - employer contribution: after completion of 1000 hours in a 12-month period
- Short and long term disability: after completion of 3 full months of employment
- Vacation & sick time: start accruing at date of hire
2. What are the benefits of working for Pathfinder International?
Besides working for a global leader in sexual and reproductive health, Pathfinder offers several formal and informal benefits for its employees, including:
- Comprehensive benefits packages for US, Expat, and Third-Country National (TCN) employees
- Ability to advance within the organization
- Travel opportunities to other Pathfinder locations worldwide
- Wellness initiatives, including a walking program
3. Do you have volunteer/internship opportunities?
Pathfinder does not offer volunteer opportunities. However, Pathfinder employs individuals as interns for up to 6 months. All internships are paid.
4. How can I apply for an internship?
Pathfinder has a relationship with Northeastern University for coop opportunities. These six month internships run from January-June and from July-December. If you are a Northeastern student, please work directly with your adviser at Northeastern to learn more about the coop application process.
Occasionally other internship opportunities become available and are posted on Pathfinder’s Employment Opportunities page. Interested students are encouraged to check our site from time to time as new positions (full-time positions and otherwise) are added on a regular basis.
5. How do Pathfinders get to work? Are you accessible by public transportation? Is there parking?
Employees use all methods of transportation. Our headquarters, located directly in Watertown Square at 9 Galen Street, is accessible via various options:
- From the North: take Route 3 South to 95 South/128 South towards Providence, Rhode Island. Take exit 27A toward Totten Pond Rd/Wyman St. Turn right onto Lexington Street, followed by a left onto Main Street. Turn right onto Mt. Auburn Street and another right onto Galen Street.
- From the West: take I-90 East/Massachusetts Turnpike. Take exit 17 toward Newton/Watertown. Merge onto Washington Street. Continue onto Centre Street, followed by Galen Street.
- From the South: take Route 24 North to 95 North. Take exit 25 to I-90 East/Massachusetts Turnpike. Take exit 17 toward Newton/Watertown. Merge onto Washington Street. Continue onto Centre Street, followed by Galen Street.
- Public Transportation: Pathfinder is accessible by public transportation via the 71 Bus from Harvard Station to Watertown Square (last stop), or the 59 Bus from Needham Junction to Watertown Square (last stop).
- Parking: Pathfinder offers free parking in either the parking lot behind the building or the garage. Street parking is available at a cost.
- Crosby Benefit: As part of the Crosby Benefits system, Pathfinder offers its employees a $35 subsidy on a monthly CharlieCard pass (able to use on both busses and the T) or on parking (if you park elsewhere). Simply go to mycrosbybenefits.com and enter your employee information to activate this benefit.
6. The hiring process:
- Where can I find a complete list of all the positions worldwide?
All local and global positions can be found on our website, at Employment Opportunities.
- How do I apply?
All potential candidates should apply online on our Employment Opportunities page using our web-based careers portal. Resumes will be screened and qualified applicants will be contacted either by telephone or email to schedule a phone, Skype, or in-person interview.
- What can I expect when I come in for an interview?
The interview process varies for each position. All candidates will fill out an application for our records before any on-site interview is conducted. The number of interviewers and the length of the interview will vary based on availability. Some interviews will include skills assessments tests, some will include role-playing scenarios, and others will be solely question and answer, depending on the position being applied for.
Some general tips:
- Make sure to leave for the interview with plenty of time available
- If you are going to be late, make sure to call Pathfinder to give advanced notice
- Dress professionally and respectfully
- Do your research about Pathfinder and the position for which you are applying
- What can I expect after an interview?
After an interview, top candidates are identified and reference checks are conducted on these candidates by Human Resources and the Hiring Manager. Once reference checks are completed, the Hiring Team goes through an internal process to determine a top candidate. The internal process length depends on the position and candidate pool.