Pathfinder Joins Coalition of Organizations in Open Letter to United Nations on Sexual and Reproductive Health
Dear CPD Delegate:
As you enter negotiations for the resolution on fertility, reproductive health and development at the Commission on Population and Development, we call on you to work to ensure that certain key elements are part of the final outcome document.
- A reaffirmation of the General Assembly decision to extend the International Conference on Population and Development's Programme of Action and the key actions for its further implementation beyond 2014, to reinvigorate efforts to meet the original principles, goals and objectives.
- Actionable and operational steps for ensuring protection of sexual and reproductive rights and access to a full range of integrated sexual and reproductive health services especially at the primary health care level: contraception and family planning; maternity care including pre-and post-natal care, emergency obstetric care, skilled birth attendance; prevention and treatment of sexually transmitted infections, including HIV; safe legal abortion services and quality services for the management of complications arising from unsafe abortions and miscarriages.
- Actionable steps to provide adolescents and young people with comprehensive sexuality education in-and-out of schools and sexual and reproductive health services that respect their rights including to privacy and confidentiality, and to involve them in policy and program design.
- Gender equality and fulfillment of human rights as a necessary condition for achieving the ICPD Programme of Action and Millennium Development Goals, and actionable and operational steps for governments to make progress on achieving gender equality and on fulfilling human rights.
- Ensuring individuals' rights to have control over and decide freely and responsibly on all matters related to their sexuality and reproduction free of coercion, discrimination, and violence.
- Financial commitments from all countries to increase resources to implement these action steps.
As you negotiate the resolution, please know that more is needed than to simply restate language agreed to in prior UN-related agreements. We urge you to include actionable steps for governments to take to promote the principles of the ICPD Programme of Action and meet its goals in the next four years. Given that these goals were not achieved in the initial 20-year time frame, new priorities to secure the health and wellbeing of individuals, their families, communities and the world are needed.
Action Canada for Population and Development (ACPD)
Advocates for Youth
African Medical and Research Foundation - AMREF USA
AIDOS, Italian Association for Women in Development
AIDS Foundation of Chicago
Americans for Informed Democracy
Americans for UNFPA
Asia Pacific Alliance for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (APA)
ASTRA - Central and Eastern European Women's Network for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights
Catholics for Choice
Center for Environment and Population (CEP)
Center for Global Women's Leadership
Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE)
Center for Health Justice
Center for Health Policy and Innovation
Center for Reproductive Rights
Center for Women Policy Studies
Centro de Promoci n y Defensa de los Derechos Sexuales y Reproductivos "PROMSEX", Per
Comissao de Cidadania e Reprodu o, Brasil
Development Alternatives with Women for a New Era (DAWN)
Equidad de G nero: Ciudadan a, Trabajo y Familia's
Family Care International
Federation for Women and Family Planning, Poland
Feminist Majority Foundation, USA
Forum de la Femme Menagere "FORFEM", R publique D mocratique du Congo
Fundaci n para Estudio e Investigaci n de la Mujer (FEIM), Argentina
Gender Education, Research and Technologies Foundation, Bulgaria
German Foundation for World Population (DSW)
Gestos HIV+, Comunica o e G nero - Brazil
Global Forum on MSM and HIV (MSMGF)
Global Youth Coalition on HIV/AIDS (GYCA)
HIV Prevention Justice Alliance (HIV PJA)
Human Rights Watch
Ibis Reproductive Health
International Planned Parenthood Federation
International Women's Health Coalition
Irish Family Planning Association
Japanese Organization for International Cooperation in Family Planning (JOICFP)
John Snow Inc.
Latin America and Caribbean Women's Health Network (LACWHN)
Latin American and the Caribbean Council of AIDS Services Organizations (LACCASO)
Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Marie Stopes International, Brussels
Marie Stopes International, United States
National Organization for Women
New Zealand Family Planning
Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Planned Parenthood Federation of Korea
Population Action International
Population and Community Development Association, Thailand
Population and Sustainability Network
The Population Institute
Positive Women Inc
Public Health institute
Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice
Reproductive Health and Rights Alliance, Kenya
Sensoa, Belgian Sexual Health and Family Planning, Australia
Sexuality Policy Watch
Space Allies, Japan
Teenager Plus, Kenya
V est liitto Family Federation of Finland
Women for Women's Human Rights (WWHR), Turkey
Women's Refugee Commission
Women's Global Network for Reproductive Rights (WGNRR)
World AIDS Campaign
YouAct European Youth Network for Sexual and Reproductive Rights
Youth Action Nepal
Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights
Focus Area: Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, Contraception & Family Planning
Please contact Kate Stookey, Director of Public Affairs, at 617-972-1231 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Purnima Mane joins InterAction's Board of Directors.
Pathfinder's mhealth projects in Nigeria and Tanzania are highlighted in the latest volume of the mHealth Compendum.