- Provided technical assistance to the National Population Council as they developed and launched the national Preventing Early Marriage strategy in June 2014
- Established a replicable model for NGOs and community development associations to contribute to the implementation of the strategy
- Built the capacity of NGOs and community development associations to implement and institutionalize the prevention of early marriage
- Facilitated partnerships between government, civil society, and private sector to lower early marriage by 50%, with enhanced efforts in 7 governorates where early marriage is most prominent
- Employed girl- and gatekeeper-centered approaches to meaningfully engage women and girls as well as men and boys and foster gender and social norm change
Prevention of Early Marriage
In Egypt, 17% of girls are married before their 18th birthday. Together with several key Egyptian government agencies and NGOs, we worked to prevent early marriage and increase access to adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health care.