- Make sure first-time parents have access to contraception so they can decide whether and when to have children and forge their own path forward
- Establish support groups for young mothers, so they can discuss their shared experiences and thoughts about contraception
- Partner with the government to train health providers to deliver high-quality services for contraception and maternal and newborn care to first-time parents without judgement or bias
- Make sure young couples have access to counseling to improve joint decision-making on household matters—including contraceptive use
- Create a supportive environment for young people’s use of contraception among parents, mothers-in-law, and religious leaders, who have significant influence
Contraceptive Choice for First-time Parents in Shinyanga
Pathfinder, through our Evidence to Action project, makes sure young mothers and first-time parents can access contraception and gain the support of their community to use it. This initiative is part of our Expanding Contraceptive Method Mix in Shinyanga project—bringing full contraceptive choice to underserved communities.