- Made sure first-time parents have access to contraception so they can decide whether and when to have children and forge their own path forward
- Trained healthcare providers to deliver young first-time parents high-quality services for contraception and maternal and newborn care without judgement or bias
- Made sure young couples have access to counseling to improve their communication and joint decision-making on household matters—including contraceptive use
- Created a supportive environment for young people’s use of contraception among mothers-in-law and religious leaders, who have significant influence
- Built a body of evidence about how best to support young married women and first-time parents in West Africa
West Africa Adolescent & Youth Sexual and Reproductive Health Program
In a region with some of the lowest contraceptive prevalence rates and highest maternal mortality in Africa, Pathfinder joined dedicated local partners in Niger, Burkina Faso, and Guinea to uphold the rights of young married women and their partners by advancing healthy timing and spacing of pregnancy.