Margaret A. Cargill Foundation, The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Barr Foundation, John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, USAID through the Evidence to Action project
Visits for Contraception
Increase in Deliveries to Facilities
Fish Breeding Zones Protectes
People living in the Lake Victoria Basin face urgent health, environmental, and economic challenges. They need the power to access to sexual and reproductive health services and manage their natural resources sustainably. In two districts in Uganda and two counties in Kenya, we’re making sure they can.
- Made sure women and girls have control over whether and when to have children so they can choose to pursue employment and leadership roles in their communities.
- Packaged information about conservation and reproductive health together, so men were more engaged and willing to promote reproductive rights and their partner’s choice to use contraception.
- Stopped preventable maternal deaths by making sure women could access high-quality care at every stage—before, during, and after pregnancy.
- Created and supported teams of local fishers and farmers so they can lead efforts to protect the ecosystem for future generations.
- Strengthened malaria and HIV prevention with community education and capacity building at health facilities.
- Encouraged leaders in the local, regional, and national governments to broaden the reach of population, health, and environment programs across East Africa.