- Contraception & Family Planning
- Adolescents & Youth
- Maternal, Newborn & Child Health
- Combatting Gender-Based Violence
In Pakistan, Pathfinder is a leader in scalable, sustainable solutions to quality contraceptive and reproductive health services, particularly for women and youth. Our programs have improved the quality of services offered by health providers, including helping them to overcome their biases about providing sexual and reproductive health care to youth; strengthened postpartum and post-abortion family planning services; and leveraged digital solutions to strengthen health systems. Pathfinder is known for its gender-transformative approaches—ones that engage men for maximum impact, improve the response to gender-based violence, and engage women in climate change adaptation solutions.
In Pakistan, Pathfinder works across the public health system, with policymakers and civil society organizations, to ensure every person of reproductive age can exercise their sexual and reproductive health and rights without discrimination.
- Advancing Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights
About half of married women in Pakistan do not have a say in decisions about their own health care. Pathfinder’s programs shift gender norms and advance reproductive rights, while ensuring women’s and girls’ access to the services they need. Some key pieces of our work include:
- Strengthening the capacity of health providers and lady health workers to provide quality sexual and reproductive health services.
- Mobilizing community leaders, including religious leaders, for the advancement of sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Advocating for policies, programs, and budgets that advance sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Advancing youth-friendly sexual and reproductive health services.
- Addressing Gender-Based Violence
In Pakistan, more than 30 percent of women ages 15-49 that have been married have also experienced spousal violence, and only 1% of women seek legal support for the violence they face. Pathfinder improves prevention of and response to gender-based violence through close partnership with community-based organizations. We also apply gender-transformative approaches that engage men for greater impact and contribute to increased gender equity across families and communities.
- Women and Girls on the Frontlines of Climate Change
Pakistan is among 10 countries most affected by climate change and extreme weather events—evidenced by the massive floods in 2022 that left more than 6 million people in need of humanitarian assistance. Pathfinder works with partners to respond to emergencies and, for long-term resilience, supports women and girls in communities most affected by climate change, ensuring they have the knowledge, networks, and resources they need to develop climate-adaptation solutions.