Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
In Pakistan’s Punjab and Sindh provinces, Naya Qadam reaches thousands of young women ages 15 to 24 at a critical time—after a pregnancy—and gives them the power to decide if or when they want to become pregnant again.
- Trained health providers to offer a full range of contraceptive methods—including postpartum and post-abortion intrauterine devices and implants.
- Trained health providers and Lady Health Workers to administer the injectable contraceptive Sayana® Press.
- Trained Lady Health Workers, community midwives, and Lady Health Volunteers to counsel on and refer for postpartum and post-abortion family planning services.
- Revised pre-service health training curricula to focus on family planning, and specifically, postpartum family planning.
- Trained midwifery tutors in family planning and equip midwifery schools with family planning skills labs for students.
- Sensitized health providers on gender-based determinants of family planning and adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health and address provider bias.
- Strengthened health systems to ensure the public and private sectors offer quality, integrated services, and that health facilities are equipped with essential supplies and commodities.
- Engaged youth and male champions to generate acceptance of and demand for these services.