die daily from preventable complications of pregnancy and childbirth
occur in low resource settings
are from severe bleeding, infections, high blood pressure, pregnancy complications, and unsafe abortion
Pathfinder envisions a world where preventable maternal, newborn, and child deaths are eliminated and a positive experience of pregnancy and childbirth allows women and children to survive, thrive, and reach their full potential in life.
- Healthcare practices to prevent or manage complications are well known.
- Maternal health and newborn health are closely interlinked.
- Timely and skilled management of pregnancy and childbirth by professionals can make the difference between life and death for the mother and her baby.
- Preventing unwanted pregnancies through contraception and comprehensive abortion care can reduce maternal deaths.
- Barriers to quality maternal and newborn health services must be identified and addressed.
What We Do
Pathfinder focuses on eliminating preventable maternal and newborn deaths by making sure women and newborns can access quality care at every stage—before, during, and after her pregnancy.
- We train providers to provide quality care during pregnancy and childbirth.
- We address provider values and bias that may prevent them providing quality services.
- We strengthen integrated services such as malaria prevention during pregnancy.
- We mobilize communities to prepare for childbirth, identify danger signs in pregnancy and activate transport systems, so women can reach facilities in time to save their lives.
- We make sure every woman has access to the information and health care she needs to safely deliver her baby and care for herself and her children.
- We link communities with health systems to make sure mothers and babies receive the quality care they need.
- We advocate for evidence-based policies, funding, and commodity security.
- We use social and behavior change approaches to reduce stigma and promote health-seeking behaviors.
- We mainstream gender to ensure men can support women during, and after childbirth with financial resources and household decisions.